Dream Theater In Dubai Review
October 6 was the date many metal-heads were waiting for, knowing that they will witness one of the best bands of all time. A band that might be one of the reasons behind many of us wanting to become musicians and play our hearts out exactly the way they taught us to do.
The concert was supposed to start at 8:30 pm or at least that’s what everyone knew, but it started at 8 pm and that was one of the things why many people couldn’t be on time and a lot have expressed their complaints of the sudden time change.
The band played amazing songs with passion and as expected. One of my favorites was “As I Am”.
The drum solo played by Mike Mangini was breathtaking and blew everyone’s mind. Not to mention the almighty wizard Jordan Rudess on the keyboard. Even the vocalist James LaBrie told the crowd how he had to ask him if he was human after hearing his music before he became part of Dream Theater.
His words of motivation gave all of us some hope, that anyone can get where they want, if they really work hard for it. He also spoke about Dubai’s weather and how hot it was. Don’t worry James LaBrie, we all know that, and yet we are not used to the heat, so we can understand your struggle. But regardless of the weather, Dream Theater did a very HOT performance (pun intended).
The venue, on the other hand, gave everyone a terrible experience, as it was not organized. The Bronze ticket holders were way in the back where they couldn’t see the band at all. What made it worse was that the venue screens were off, so everyone in the back couldn’t see what was happening. Everyone that attended the concert wanted not only to hear the music, but they wanted to finally see the band and collect an extra beautiful memory they can hold forever. We have many musicians here in the scene and it would have been awesome if they could see the band perform even if it was on a screen but they couldn’t.
I myself was holding a silver ticket and was struggling to see the band and the only way I could was by using my phone. We wanted to light our phones on a song they performed, we wanted Dream Theater to notice us in the back and we just couldn’t. The security kept yelling at us every time we try to do so. I’m very disappointed with how the event was organized, and if many people with silver tickets knew how hard it will be for them to see the band, they would have gotten the bronze ticket anyway.
However, Dream Theater, your music was beautiful and breathtaking, the venue will never change that. We hope to see you again in Dubai in a better venue and be able to see you perform in a crazy yet DREAMY way. Thank you for coming all the way to Dubai to give us such an “astonishing” music and thank you for making our DREAM come true.
SETLIST | Dream Theater In Dubai
- The Dark Eternal Night
- The Bigger Picture
- Hell’s Kitchen
- The Gift of Music
- Our New World
- Portrait of Tracy (Jaco Pastorius cover)
- As I Am (bridged with an excerpt of Metallica’s ‘Enter Sandman’)
- Breaking All Illusions
Act II: Images and Words
- Pull Me Under
- Another Day
- Take the Time (extended outro with a John Petrucci guitar solo)
- Metropolis Pt. 1: The Miracle and the Sleeper (with a drum solo by Mike Mangini)
- Under a Glass Moon
- Wait for Sleep (with extended keyboard intro by Jordan Rudess)
- Learning to Live
- A Change of Seasons: I The Crimson Sunrise
- A Change of Seasons: II Innocence
- A Change of Seasons: III Carpe Diem
- A Change of Seasons: IV The Darkest of Winters
- A Change of Seasons: V Another World
- A Change of Seasons: VI The Inevitable Summer
- A Change of Seasons: VII The Crimson Sunset
By Rim El Jurdi.
Want to join Metal Bell? We are looking for authors, photographers, and designers.
Send an email to: JOIN US.
What do you think? Leave a Comment.
- Review | Mike Portnoy Shattered Fortress Paris Show
- Skull Session 2017 ONSLAUGHT Live In Beirut REVIEW
- Hellfest 2017 Review | Europe’s Biggest Rock And Metal Festival
- Beirut Metal Fest 2017 Review